Understanding Insurance

There are several insurance components that may come into play in your (or the other party’s) insurance policy. Bodily injury liability insurance covers others who are injured when you are at fault in an auto accident. This type of insurance does not cover injuries for you or your passengers if you caused the accident. Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage is not usually required by law, but does pay your medical expenses and lost wages if you are at-fault in the accident. It also covers any passengers who were in your car and were injured. Med Pay coverage pays medical expenses only for anyone in your vehicle, regardless of who was at-fault. Property damage liability coverage pays for damage you cause to another’s vehicle or other property (fences, walls, etc.) if you are at-fault. Damage to your vehicle would be covered under an optional collision policy if you were at-fault.


Insurance Minimums


When you look at insurance requirements, they are typically stated in the formats shown here:

  • North Carolina 30/60/25
  • South Carolina 25/50/25
  • Tennessee 25/50/15

The first number is the bodily injury liability insurance limit (in thousands). This means that if you are injured in an auto accident in North Carolina (for example) caused by another person with this level of coverage, your medical bills, lost wages and other damages related to the accident would be covered up to $30,000. The second number ($60,000) is the total amount that would be paid for all bodily injury claims in the accident, so if you had two passengers in your vehicle who were also injured, the maximum paid on all three claims would be $60,000 with each individual’s claim limited to $30,000. The final number is the dollar limit for property damage as the result of the accident, so up to $25,000 in damage to your vehicle or other property would be paid under the at-fault party’s insurance. If the insurance coverage is not sufficient to cover all claims, your own under-insured motorist coverage may come into play or, if the at-fault party has assets, he or she may end up having to pay the difference out of those assets. Even if you have not been in an accident, if you have assets, you may wish to review your insurance coverage to verify that you are protected.

Uninsured Motorist coverage is required in some states, including North Carolina and South Carolina. This insurance protects you in the event that the at-fault party is not carrying insurance as required by law. UM insurance will pay your medical expenses and lost wages up to the coverage limits you have purchased.

Once you have been in an auto accident, you must notify your insurance company of the accident. They will then assign an insurance adjuster to work your case. (Note that if other parties were involved in the accident, their insurance companies will do the same.) The insurance adjuster works for the insurance company and will investigate the accident on their behalf.

At some point, the insurance adjuster will make you a settlement offer. This offer should include all medical expenses, lost wages and property damage, up to the insurance limits of their insured’s policy. When you are calculating your medical expenses, do not forget to include any bills that were paid through another source; this can include your medical insurance, workers’ comp, etc. In most cases, these bills must be repaid out of your settlement. These claims are known as subrogation claims. The settlement amount offered by the insurance company can vary significantly and is often dependent upon your negotiation skills. You should NOT accept a settlement offer unless you are absolutely certain that it will cover all of your current and future expenses related to the accident.

Our lawyers at Merritt Webb are anxious to aggressively represent your interests and ensure you receive just compensation for your injuries and losses. If you need an auto accident attorney, call us at 1.800.556.8404.

Not Legal Advice: Merritt Webb provides the information on this website as a public service. This website offers general information about the law only and hence is not intended to be, nor can it be, actual legal advice on any specific matter for any particular person. The use of information on this website or any link connected to this website or any form offered by this website cannot be taken as establishing any contractual, de facto, implied or other form of attorney-client privilege or relationship between Merritt Webb and the reader or user of this information, links, forms or documents found herein. Merritt Webb does not guarantee such forms, links, documents and information. Merritt Webb can only be responsible for the use of such information, forms or documents if they have been provided by Merritt Webb pursuant to an attorney client relationship between it and the user.

No guarantee as to currency of information: Due to how quickly the law can change without advance notice, the information contained in this website is not and cannot be guaranteed always to be completely up-to-date. We try to keep it current with frequent updates and review, but that is not always possible on a day-to-day basis.

No attorney-client relationship: No one can establish an attorney-client relationship with Merritt Webb merely by the use of this website or by sending or receiving information through this site or using any forms herein. Nor is any general information or document found on this website or sent to Merritt Webb unsolicited through this website considered privileged or confidential. An attorney-client relationship with Merritt Webb can be established ONLY by an express and written agreement signed by a Merritt Webb attorney to represent you.

Website responsibility: The attorneys responsible for this site are Joy Rhyne Webb (NC), 2525 Meridian Parkway, Suite 300, Durham, NC 27713 and Heather Caruso (SC, TN), 8910 Two Notch Road, Suite 400, Columbia, SC 29223.